Niacinamide is one of the most versatile and effective skincare ingredients out there, boasting a range of benefits that can aid all skin types. Whether you’re looking to keep your skin hydrated, address pigmentation, reduce fine lines, or simply freshen up your complexion, Niacinamide has you covered.
In this blog, we’ll go over what Niacinamide is, how it works, and why it deserves a place in your regimen.
What is Niacinamide?
Niacinamide (also called nicotinamide) is a water-soluble form of Vitamin B3. It is an essential nutrient for the human body that plays a role in a number of vital physiological processes.
When used as an ingredient in active skincare, Niacinamide works to improve overall skin health and appearance. It has been a staple skincare ingredient for decades, and numerous scientific studies and clinical trials have been conducted to investigate its safety and efficacy.
How does Niacinamide work?
Niacinamide is involved in a number of important cellular processes. When applied topically, it works to strengthen the skin barrier and lock in hydration. This has the effect of moisturising and soothing to help improve skin texture and overall complexion.
Niacinamide also has an antioxidant effect that can help prevent damage from environmental pollution. Through consistent application, these hydrating and protective effects can provide noticeable benefits to the look and feel of your skin.
What are the benefits of Niacinamide?
Niacinamide is a true multi-tasker, offering a range of benefits including but not limited to:
- As a water-soluble ingredient, Niacinamide is easily absorbed and works to improve the skin’s barrier function, sealing in moisture and helping to prevent trans-epidermal water loss.
- Consistent use of Niacinamide can help smooth your skin and reduce the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Niacinamide has inherent calming properties. By soothing and moisturising the skin, it can minimise the appearance of redness.
- Niacinamide helps to regulate sebum production, making it suitable for those with oily or congested skin.
- The moisturising and calming effects of Niacinamide can have a noticeable impact on the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, helping to address the signs of ageing.
- Niacinamide’s hydrating and moisturising properties work to freshen the complexion and can lead to a brighter, more even skin tone, particularly for those with pigmented skin.
- Niacinamide promotes overall skin health and resilience, helping it to look and feel better over time.
Best of all, not only is this ingredient versatile enough to suit a range of skin conditions, it’s also considered suitable for all skin types. Whether you’re oily, dry, normal, combination or sensitive, Niacinamide can form part of your regimen.
That said, although Niacinamide is considered a low risk, high reward skincare option, remember that you should always patch test any new product before using it.
What ingredients can you combine with Niacinamide?
Niacinamide works well with most other skincare ingredients, making it easy to incorporate into an existing regimen. As it provides skin barrier protection and helps with water retention, it is particularly suited as a complement to hydrating ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid and Panthenol (Vitamin B5), as in our serum Glam Squad.
Its soothing effects also make it perfect for combining with Retinol, as it helps to offset the potentially drying and irritating effects of that powerful anti-ageing active. We use Niacinamide in our Retinol serums Dream Team Regular 0.625 and Dream Team Advanced 1.25 for this very reason.
Which products contain niacinamide?
Niacinamide can be found in a range of skincare products, from serums and moisturisers to sunscreens and spot treatments.
At Liberty Belle Rx, we use Niacinamide as a hero ingredient in five of our products: Glam Squad, Dream Team Regular 0.625, Dream Team Advanced 1.25, Superhero and Star Quality. Read on to discover what Niacinamide does in these products.
- Glam Squad® – Glam Squad is our Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin B powerhouse serum. It is ideal for those who want a product where Niacinamide is the star of the show. As a water-based serum, Glam Squad is suitable for people of all skin types and is best used as a base layer to provide deep hydration, with the Niacinamide working to enhance the skin barrier and brighten skin tone. It is a true hydrating all-rounder that can complement all other products in our range.
Buy Glam Squad here.
- Dream Team® Regular 0.625 and Dream Team Advanced 1.25 – Dream Team is our Retinol serum, and one of the best products for addressing the signs of ageing in our line-up. Niacinamide acts as a supporting ingredient to help brighten the skin and keep it hydrated while the Encapsulated Retinol goes to work. As a soothing and moisturising ingredient, Niacinamide helps to minimise any potential side effects from the powerful Retinol active, such as dryness.
Buy Dream Team here.
- Superhero® – In our wrinkle defence moisturiser Superhero, Niacinamide works alongside Panthenol and Hyaluronic Acid to keep the skin dewy and hydrated, while squalane and skin-identical lipids provide additional restorative support to the skin barrier to keep hydration in and environmental pollution out.
Buy Superhero here.
- Star Quality® – as our ultimate luxe moisturiser, Star Quality also uses Niacinamide to keep the skin hydrated alongside ingredients such as Panthenol, Hyaluronic Acid, and Hyaluronic Acid Crosspolymer. A mixture of deeply nourishing butters and naturally derived oils then work to seal in this moisture, enhance the skin barrier, and improve the appearance of dull or ageing skin.
Buy Star Quality here.
How do I get the most out of Niacinamide?
To experience all the benefits that Niacinamide has to offer, we recommend that you follow the tips below:Choose the right product
- Look for products that contain effective concentrations of Niacinamide. Check the ingredients list to ensure it is prominently featured, as in our Glam Squad.
- It is important that you apply Niacinamide serums like our Glam Squad as one of the first steps in your routine. Attempting to layer water-based serums over products that contain lipids and oils will prevent your skin from absorbing the full benefits. Check out our application guide to ensure you’re applying your products in the right order.
- Niacinamide is suitable for frequent use and should be applied as part of your skincare regimen both AM and PM.
- For best results, ensure you stick to your skincare regimen. You’re not going to see any overnight miracles, so be sure to commit to using Niacinamide daily over the course of months.
- As a powerful active ingredient, Niacinamide is vulnerable to degradation from UV exposure and oxidation. Ensure you buy products that are optimally protected from light and air. All Liberty Belle Rx bottles are opaque and airtight for this very reason. Find out more about packaging in this blog.
As a versatile yet gentle ingredient, Niacinamide is a true skincare hero. Whether you’re putting together the ultimate anti-ageing regimen or just looking to keep your skin healthy and hydrated, this multi-tasker has you covered. It is suitable for all skin types and complements most other skincare ingredients, making it a breeze to add to your regimen.
If you’re not already using Niacinamide, try it now and make it your skin’s new best friend! Shop all of Liberty Belle Rx's Niacinamide products here.
If you need any help creating a skincare regimen, or advice on which Niacinamide product is right for you, please visit our Skin Quiz at libertybellerx.com.au. Or, for one-on-one advice, and the opportunity to speak to one of the Liberty Belle Skin Centre Dermal Clinicians, please visit here.