When putting together a skincare regimen, one ingredient you should always look for is ceramides. Richly nourishing and crucial for keeping the skin hydrated, these lipid heroes are the key to unlocking a healthier and more radiant complexion.
In this blog, we’ll explain what ceramides are, how they work, and which Liberty Belle Rx products use them as a hero ingredient.
What are ceramides in skincare?
Ceramides are a type of lipid that can be found naturally in the skin. They form part of the skin’s outer layer (the stratum corneum) and play a fundamental role in maintaining the health, function, and integrity of the skin’s barrier. They are sometimes called the glue that holds skin cells together.
As bioactive lipids, ceramides in topical skincare can be readily absorbed by the skin to improve barrier function and provide moisturising and hydrating effects.
What do ceramides do in skincare?
Ceramides are typically combined with other hydrating and nourishing ingredients for optimal effects. They act as armour for the skin, helping to keep hydration in and environmental pollution out. They are particularly suited to those with dry or dehydrated skin, and are noted for their soothing and protective effects. Ceramide products often feel quite rich and pleasurable when applied to the skin.
How do ceramides work in skincare?
A compromised skin barrier can lead to a range of problems, from dryness and sensitivity to redness and increased susceptibility to environmental damage.
Using ceramide-rich skincare products adds an extra layer of protection to your skin, enhancing the natural barrier function and assisting with water retention to maintain optimal hydration. In addition, ceramides provide soothing effects and can aid in skin repair and renewal. This dual effect of nurturing and fortifying the skin makes it especially useful as an ingredient in moisturisers, whether for the face or body. By improving the overall health of your skin, ceramides can leave your complexion looking more youthful and radiant.
Why should I use ceramides in skincare?
Ceramides offer a range of benefits, including but not limited to:
- Barrier repair: If the skin barrier is compromised due to excessive washing, adverse weather, or other environmental factors, it can lead to significant damage. Ceramides help to repair and restore your skin’s natural barrier, which can lead to noticeable improvements in overall health and appearance.
- Hydration: By improving the integrity of the skin barrier, ceramides help prevent trans-epidermal water loss, locking in moisture and keeping your skin hydrated for longer.
- Environmental protection: When the skin barrier is compromised, pollutants and UV radiation can cause damage more easily. Ceramides can help protect the skin from external factors that cause premature ageing.
- Soothing properties: Ceramides are particularly popular for their noticeable soothing effects, helping to calm red or irritated skin and keep it protected. Many find that ceramide-rich products not only have positive effects but also feel good when applied to the skin.
- Anti-ageing benefits: Prevention is the best cure. By providing the skin with additional protection and support, ceramides can help prevent the damage that leads to premature ageing. Deep moisturisation can also help with the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Which Liberty Belle Rx products contain ceramides?
Read on to discover more about how the ceramides work in each product.
Date Night: Formulated with an unparalleled selection of actives to rejuvenate and revitalise the skin, this leave-on deep hydration mask uses ceramides and skin-identical lipids (ceramides that match the ones produced naturally by our skin) to strengthen and restore skin barrier function for the ultimate hydrating and moisturising experience. This mask can be used as often as you need it, whether that’s once a week or every night.
Belle: Our luxurious and delicately scented hand cream contains a range of powerfully hydrating ingredients to soothe dry hands, while ceramides and skin-identical lipids reinforce skin barrier integrity. Made to suit hard-working hands, these ceramides will help to limit irritation from hand sanitisers and soaps as well as damage from daily wear and tear.
Superhero: This lightweight moisturiser is perfect for everyday use, containing a range of hydrating and protective ingredients to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy. These benefits are sealed in by ceramides and skin-identical lipids, which work to replenish and restore the skin while promoting the integrity of the skin barrier.
Star Quality: The richest, most luxurious moisturiser in our range, Star Quality is a saviour for dehydrated, dry or ageing skin. NP, AP and EOP ceramides work in tandem with nourishing butters and oils to provide deep moisturisation and skin barrier repair. These ceramides are all found naturally in your skin and are among the most commonly used ceramides in skincare for how well they enhance and restore your natural lipids. NP, AP and EOP ceramides all work in synergy to strengthen the skin barrier, prevent dehydration, and keep harmful pollutants out.
Who should use ceramides?
Ceramides can be used by people of all skin types, but are particularly suited to those with dry, dehydrated or ageing skin.
- Dry skin: Dry skin is characterised by a lack of lipids in the stratum corneum. If you have true dry skin (as opposed to dehydrated, which is a lack of water), ceramide-rich creams will be a lifesaver. We recommend Star Quality in the morning and Date Night in the evening as often as you think you need it. Giving your skin the barrier protection it needs should be your number one priority to help alleviate any damage from dryness. Belle can be used to soothe dry hands, and can also be applied to any other dry patches on the body.
- Dehydrated skin: Dehydrated skin is characterised by a lack of water. One of the best ways to alleviate dehydration is to apply a hydrating product such as Glam Squad, then seal in those water-based actives with a ceramide-rich product such as Superhero, Star Quality or Date Night. By reinforcing the skin barrier, you will help prevent the water loss that leads to dehydration.
- Ageing skin: As we age our skin naturally produces fewer ceramides. Replenishing these ceramides through moisturisers or masks can make a huge difference to the appearance of your skin. Star Quality is our favoured anti-ageing moisturiser, a true multi-tasking hero that can tackle the appearance of ageing as well as dryness and dehydration. Date Night can also provide a significant boost to ageing skin. Use in the evening as often as you feel you need additional hydration and skin barrier protection.
- General skin health: For general skin health and maintenance, Superhero is an excellent choice to alleviate mild dryness and strengthen the skin barrier. Combine with the occasional dose of Date Night to perk up your skin now and then.
Through careful incorporation of ceramides into your skincare regimen, you can unlock the secret to protective and restorative moisturisation. Be sure to consider your skin type and aims so you can select the right ceramide product for you.
For any assistance in crafting the perfect regimen, visit our Skin Quiz at libertybellerx.com.au. Or, for one-on-one advice, and the opportunity to speak to one of the Liberty Belle Skin Centre Dermal Clinicians, please visit here.